David Ball Group Ltd based in Bourn, Cambridgeshire, is a leading manufacturer of specialist cementitious products for the construction and civil engineering industry. Trading through a range of brands, including market leading admixture PUDLO waterproof systems and the innovative zero cement CEMFREE binder.
Due a sustained increase in the demand for the technology department services, we are looking for an additional concrete materials specialist of the highest standard to strengthen our existing development capability and to provide materials and technology advice to internal and external clients, globally.
As a member of the technology team, you will have a challenging, varied and interesting workload that will primarily involve work in the laboratory doing concrete mixing and analytical testing on projects. The mix of project work will include concrete mix design, analytical testing in our “dry” laboratory, durability testing, ad-hoc advice, problem investigation, new product development and much more. You will become expert in concrete and related materials including screeds, grouts and of course our new and inventive CEMFREE binder. You will develop a detailed knowledge of international standards and specifications, and should have the passion for your subject that ensures you remain at the forefront of the field throughout your career.
The post holder will have a good level of written and verbal communication skills and have previous experience in a similar technical services/Concrete Technologist role, within the concrete manufacturing or supply industry.
The position is full time 37¾ hours a week.
- Daily involvement in the operation of the concrete laboratory.
- Ensuring compliance with the relevant BSI Standards
- Undertaking product trials and demonstrations – both on site and off site.
- Active involvement in Product/Materials development.
- Communication with customers, both internal and external.
- Carry out a range of concrete, cement and aggregates laboratory tests
- Carry out materials sampling and sample management
- Keep accurate and legible records of all works undertaken
- Works to published technical specifications and standards
- Identify and manage risk in all work activities
- Manage and maintain company equipment
- Liaise with client representatives on testing requirements
- Basic equipment calibration when required
Skills/ Knowledge/ Personal attributes:
- ICT Concrete Technology & Construction Stages 2 & 3 (formerly City & Guilds parts 1 & 2) or their equivalent.
- Detailed knowledge of fundamental concrete technology
- Experience within a concrete technology role
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Excellent report writing and presentational skills
- Organisational skills with the ability to work within a team.
- Project Management skills
- Self-motivating, good time management, ability to work with minimum supervision
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel
- Educated to at least Degree Level in a relevant subject
- Relevant post-graduate experience in concrete materials and/or technology
- Experience of providing solutions to structural engineers, designers and architects
- Knowledge of other materials would be an advantage
- Collaborates across the business to come up with new ways of working
- The ability to “translate” technical information into simple concepts
- Has the ability to take ownership of a situation, be a decision maker and resolution provider using your own initiative
- Enthusiastic and keen outlook
- Full driving licence
- Well organised and adaptable
- Has the natural desire to provide excellent customer service
- A strong, supportive, team working ethic
- Willingness to travel occasionally
To apply for this role please email your covering letter and CV to Kostas.Koutselas@davidballgroup.com & Sally.Boyle@davidballgroup.com.