We are a provider of innovative construction products based at Bourn, Cambridge. As such it has an ongoing programme of product development particularly in the field of concrete and cementitious materials.
As a result of expansion of the technical support services associated with the company’s research and development activities, we have a need for a competent and practically minded materials/concrete senior technician.
This is an opening for someone early in their career who is seeking opportunity to use at a practical level their technical skills and to be part of a forward thinking and dynamic company.
Both experience and qualification are important. At least 5 years practical experience of cement and concrete technology possibly coupled with the Institute of Concrete Technology CT&C Stages 2 and/or 3, the enhanced Certificate in Concrete Technology of the University of Derby or similar.
The duties will involve managing the concrete laboratories on a day to day basis as well as liaising with field trials and associated work with potential clients. Good interpersonal skills are required and the person should be able to work independently as required. The successful candidate will manage two members of staff and be responsible to the Research & Development Manager.
- Manage concrete laboratories. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Overseeing day to day work load
- Ensuring good working order of all equipment, dealing with problems promptly
- Troubleshooting relevant to any procedures in the Department
- Maintaining and updating the working system in the laboratories
- Commissioning new testing procedures/equipment
- Maintain sufficient supply of raw materials
- Implementation of agreed work programme
- Overseeing and management of field trials (both internal and external)
- Dealing with technical enquiries
- Work with clients
- Data management
- Processing and storing data in an easy-to-access way
- Reporting data in tabulated and graphical form to R&D Manager
- Any work relevant to the Department identified by the Research and Development Manager
- Reporting to Research and Development Manager
Salary and Benefits
- 25 days holiday plus bank holiday
- Monday to Thursday 8.30am-5pm, Friday 8.30am-4pm
- Private health care
- Group personal pension plan which operates salary exchange.
Please apply with a CV and a covering letter to Dr M. Liska by 30th January 2015 Martin.Liska@davidballgroup.com